Where did learning fail?

Out of 100 students admitted in grade one, 33 will dropout till they reach grade five and 65 will do so till they reach grade ten.

Out of 500,00,000 students appeared in School Leaving Certificate (SLC), 53% fails in regular examination.

Every year 62% or 500,00,000 students fail in High School.

90% SLC appearing students go for tuition classes.

In the year 2011, for the first time, a study conducted about grade ten’s National achievement revealed that students pass their examination depending on tuition classes, coaching and supplementary books such as guide/guess papers. There are 33,000 community and 6000 private schools and approximately 7 million students in the country.  In the last ten years, government has increased the investment in education from 9 to 17 percent (64 billion).

According to the study done with 10th grader students by Education Department, 60%‘s edification is very weak and rest 40%‘s learning situation is good only for passing the exam. Practical education, useful to daily life is almost nil. 10th grader students are only good to read and write, they have no other skills. Both private and public schools have the same problem when it comes to creative teaching and learning. The study has also shown that students haven’t developed their skills in respond to the investment and curriculum, weak learning has led to theoretical than practical knowledge. The report shows 90% students are dragged to tuition and coaching classes.

According to Mr. Dhir Ghingran, Chief Program Officer, Global Office Room to Read, Nepal lacks behind in education standard compared to five other countries in South Asia as per last year’s study. 78% of tax paid by the people is invested in education. According to Education Department, out of 64 billion budgets, 86% were spent on teacher’s salary. On the basis of investment ratio in school education, state has spent 4 trillion. Irony is that, only 47% could pass the ten year’s investment examination, School Leaving Certificate, rest 53% couldn’t make it because of insufficient learnings. Out of passed 200,00,000 students, 125,00,000 are from Community schools. Failed students do not have any skills to make use from the learnings of ten years of schooling.

Study further shows, 49% schools do not have subject related teachers in Mathematics and Science and 45% in Nepali and Social Studies. According to the curriculum, three basics of learnings are knowledge, conception and skills. Students should learn all three of them equally. Though the notion is there in the curriculum, it has not been included in the course book. Collectively these three makes 100 as full marks however, examination is based on knowledge component. Present course book and examination hasn’t been able to test student’s capability, presentation, behavior and logics.

Excerpts of the article “ Kaha Chukyo  sikai” published in Kantipur,Nepali National Daily on 8 September 2012. Translated by Sambhawana.

Tags: , , , , , ,